Monday, October 25, 2010

Don’t Drink Your Calories

I used to be a soda drinker and being a soda drinker is like being a coffee drinker. You need it and want it on a daily basis. I would have soda with at least two of my meals and probably as a refreshing drink throughout the day. In fact even though I was drinking a beverage I was always thirsty. So I would in turn drink more soda to quench my thirst. When I look back I realize that even though I was not eating really fatty foods I was drinking excess calories every day.

When I stopped drinking soda I started to drink juice and iced tea, thinking I was doing better. I soon realized that I was doing the same thing with juice as I was with soda. So I stopped drinking anything with sugar in it cold turkey, my main beverage was and still is water. Now there were times when I would substitute water for another beverages and I would find my thirst still lingering until I drank water.

In fact, I found the late night hunger I used to have was actually thirst. So instead of snacking at night all I needed was a glass of water. There is an easy way to tell if you are drinking enough water. I know this may sound gross but it is by looking at your urine. If your urine is yellow you are not drinking enough water, in fact if your urine is brown you are dehydrated.

You will find that if you start to drink water consistently that you will crave water on a daily basis. Many people tell me they can’t stand the taste of water. I used to be that way, now I love a refreshing cold glass of water. You will find some amazing benefits to drinking water including seeing your hair and skin looking and feeling better.

No need to go cold turkey but gradually increase the amount of water you drink to at least ten glasses a day. Many people speak of water poisoning and say you can drink too much water. I have found that is a rare occurrence that occurs during drinking constants (drinking 2 to 3 gallons at a time). More likely from athletes who have participated in strenuous exercise and they are trying to replace electrolytes. Since I am not a doctor please contact your physician if you are concerned about water poisoning.

No comments: