Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Mindfulness


I have spent the last few months studying and practicing mindfulness and meditation.   Let me be the first to say, that I thought it was a waste of time at first. However, I have found my self trying to find quiet time in my life.  With the husband, kids, students and technology it seems like I am constantly in the mist of noise. Not just the sound per se but the distractions that come with life.  In the  transactional model of communication  as you communicate with others there are always distractions that interrupt the messages you send or receive at every stage.  I found a great graphic that shows how noise runs rampant in the communication process. I think we fail to see the noise the exists in our internal communication process. 


That noise has become very loud in my life and I felt like I needed to find some stillness and to connect with out interruption. So I started in the morning when the house was quiet and I would just breathe and focus on my breath. I spent time focusing on how it feels to breathe in and out.  It was difficult at first, my mind would be racing and I would find myself thinking about everything that I needed to do or what had upset me.  So I decided to do some research and found a few good webpages with free guided meditations. In addition to the the fact the having a free trial to Apple Music gave me access to so much material. 

I now can find moment of pure peace during the day, just by getting lost in my own breathing for a few minutes. It is still difficult at times but I think it is worth a try if you are looking for a few moments of peace in your day. I actually just found the app Happify which has some free guided meditations. Either way look around the Internet there is a lot of free info out there.  

I am no expert so I won't recommend any one place, I say just do some research and find something that works for you. 

 I will say that the peace I have found is jubilant. 

No comments: