Friday, February 4, 2011

The Dressing Room



Last night I spent some time in the dressing room at our local mall. If you remember one of my earlier posts, you know that I love to shop. One of the perks of losing weight is that I get to shop frequently.   Anyway, I was in the dressing room when I heard a woman outside the door crying to her husband. She’d taken ten dresses into the room with her and none of them fit. She was asking him why he didn’t tell her she was getting fat.  He of course was floored and had no response.
This little encounter made me think, are we oblivious to weight gain or are we just lying to our selves.   Every time you have to purchase a larger pair of pants, you know you have put on a few pounds.  Then you lie to yourself and say “but I still look good”. Every time you go through the drive through and consume a day’s worth of calories for one meal, you lie to yourself and say “it’s ok”. Then one day we are in the dressing room, with the huge mirrors, unflattering light and you can’t lie to yourself anymore.   So you blame someone else instead of looking in the mirror and realizing that YOU did this to yourself.
I used to be that woman and I am sure that some of you are still that woman or man. Being angry will help you if you use that anger to change. Anger won’t help if you direct it at the ones you love and place the blame on them.  I am fortunate that my husband won’t lie to me,  if  ask him a question he will tell me the truth.  So the age old question ” Do you I look fat in these jean?”, I have never asked to my husband. I am sure he would have told the truth in a nice way.
Last night while I was in the dressing room  in front of that big mirror and the horrible lights.  I was smiling because I could see everything  that I accomplished and what  I needed to work on.   I Found four  fabulous dresses  for  my date tonight  with my husband.  For the first time in a while, I had to decide  which one to purchase because they all fit well and looked fabulous on me. 
I don’t know about you but  Getting  Off The Couch  has been wonderful for me!!!!

No comments: