Friday, April 22, 2011

Crunching Numbers

I got a few e-mails from folks asking me how I decided my goal weight.  They  are saying that looking at my pictures I should be at goal. Well pictures don't tell the whole story, in fact there are a few factor that I considered when I determined my goal weight.

     1. BMI:   Body Mass Index which  is a number calculated from  my weight  divided by the square of my  height.  It provides a good indication of body fatness.  I know that  the BMI formula depends only upon weight and height, its assumptions about the distribution between lean mass and adipose tissue are not always exact.  But I have a  lot of  fatty tissues so I am unlikely to overestimates  body fat  unlike those with more lean body tissue. My goal is to be in the normal range of 18.5 -25.

2.  WAIST: Waist Circumference above 35( in women)  is associated with an increased risk for type 2 diabetes, hypertension and cardiovascular disease when your BMI is between 25 and 34.9. To determine my waist circumference, I located my  upper hip bone and placed a measuring tape around my abdomen .I made sure that  not to push in my skin, then  took a breathe and measured my waist. .  I don't have  specific goal in mind just to be below 35.
 
3. LEGS: I want my legs to be muscular and shapely. So until they look the  way I want I will keep pushing forward. I carried a lot of my weight in my legs , so I need to burn that fat stored there.  See my leg idol on the right ----------------->
So I still have a few months to go in my journey and  if I have not complete my goals by July 20, 2011 I will keep going. In fact I will never stop this pursuit because this is a lifestyle change, nothing about this is temporary.


No comments: