Friday, April 22, 2016

Authentically Me!!!


Fourteen years ago I decided to go natural. I was tired of the relaxers and perms breaking my hair. I also wore braids most of the time anyway.  My boyfriend at the time laughed at me after I cut my hair and said I look like a boy. 

Needless to say neither he nor the hairstyle lasted. Six months later with him gone I went natural yet again. My hair for me has always been a part of my identity. Ask any black woman and many of your childhood memeories has something to with getting your hair done. 

I have always loved the look of Locs on other women but my excuse was that I change my hair too much to get them myself. The reality is I was scared and not brave enough to do it. Just like going natural I tried it a few times and went back to naturally loosed. 

I knew when I was ready to be authentically me my hair would reflect that. 10 months ago, healing really occurred in my life. I decided I wanted the world to see me. The real me not the person that had represented me for so long. So I started my Locs.  Honestly from the first day I was in love with myself.  I saw me everyday, in the mirror and it did not matter to me what anyone else thought about it.  To some this may seem silly. They found that freedom a long time a go but when you have lived the live I have,it take a little bit longer to get where you need to be. 

So this post is celebrating the fact that the real Keisha finally stood up!!!


No comments: